Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Emmental Cheese & Carmelized Onions


I got the idea to do this pizza from Varasano's menu. I had never made a white pie before, but I wanted to mix it up a little bit. I used a half size of my normal dough recipe (aged 24 hours in the fridge). Spread the dough and covered lightly with dried thyme. The dough was so easy to worth with that it ended up being the size of a normal pizza...but just thinner. Covered the pie with a healthy covering of SwissRose emmental cheese I had shredded. Added a few drops of olive oil (very lightly) and then spread out the carmelized onions (made from 1 medium yellow onion). Cooked for 8 minutes at about 500.

It came out great! The saltiness/tanginess of the cheese worked really well with the sweetness of the onions. I used a little less yeast then I normally use, so the crust was not too puffy around the edges...I may actually stick with this amount of yeast in the future. My only concern would be using such a think crust with a sauce, I'm concerned it could get a bit soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment