Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Joe's Pizza - New York, NY

Joe's Pizza
7 Carmine Street
New York, NY
www.famousjoespizza.com

While in NYC for the US Open, the wife and I had to make at least one stop for pizza! Joe's was listed in Jeff Varasano's "Tier 1", sold slices and wasn't too far out of the way...perfect!

The inside is pretty bare-bones; a counter for ordering and a small amount of seating (some pics).
We arrived around 5PM and walked right up to the counter, no line. I ordered one slice each of fresh mozzarella and pepperoni, the wife order a plain. Most of the seating was occupied, so we ate on a bench in the park across the street. I started with the fresh mozz and was very impressed. The bites with cheese were delicious, but so were the bites of just crust and sauce. The sauce wasn't overpowering...really, none of the compontents were overpowering, but all tasted great and worked really well together. The folks at Modern should take a trip here and see how a no-cheeser pizza should taste. My slice of pepperoni was also delish, as was the wife's plain.

Probably one of the best NY-style slices I have ever had. When eating it, none of the components stole the show...they just did their job well and worked in harmony to enhance each others flavor. With the amount of good pizza in NYC, I don't know how far out of my way I would go to come back...but if I am in Greenwich Village again, I will be back!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out to nocheeser! I am VERY interested in going to Joe's!

    ReplyDelete