Monday, September 7, 2009

Mirabella - Saugerties, NY

Mirabella
117 Partition St
Saugerties, NY 12477

Following some late afternoon tennis, the wife and I had been planning to eat at Tango (one of our favorite breakfast/lunch spots). Unfortunately for us, they were closed when we arrived. We walked around town and ended up at Mirabella, a small Italian family restaurant/bar. We had eaten at Mirabella a few times before and the food was decent, but I had never tried the pizza. I was concerned by the menu listing "hunting lodge-style pizza", but I decided to go for it anyway. I ordered an personal size Italiano: Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced Prosciutto, Fresh Basil.

I'm still not exactly sure what "hunting lodge-style pizza" means, but it is not a good. The crust was crispy inside and out and lacked any flavor or springiness. The sauce was a bit spicy, almost tasted like the chef threw in a few drops of Frank's Red Hot. I like hot sauce and spicy food, but it was really overpowering. The fresh mozzarella wasn't terrible, but was hard to taste next to the sauce. The prosciutto was not high quality, it really tasted more like ham...and may well have been ham. Lastly, the pie was covered with enough fresh basil for probably about 3 pies.

Many of my favorite dishes are the simple ones that good ingredients and flavors that can balance each other...this was the exact oposite. I ate it all, but I wasn't happy about it! I would eat at Mirabella again; as my caesar salad and the wife's stuffed clams were good, but that is the last of "hunting lodge-style pizza" for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment