Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Some homemade pies & lessons learned...

Here are a few pies from the last few weeks, some better than others.

Clams! I used canned clams and some fresh garlic. It was alright, but lacked some flavor. Next time I may have to add a little salt or maybe more garlic.

I made a plain cheese pizza, but used shredded Sargento shredded mozz...ugh, not good. It was so greasy that it soaked through my thin crust.

Fresh Mozz Half Pepperoni. It was actually much better than how it looks in the picture. The crust was delish, nice and crispy but still springy inside. One of my best!
A few items I must remember to do:
- Fully preheat the oven/stone! I purchased a small thermometer so I can now know when my oven is fully preheated. Lately I have been preheating for at least 30 minutes, and the oven is usually cranking along at about 500-525
- Make the dough the day before! The dough is so much better when I make it the day before and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Let the dough cool! After aging the dough for 24 hours, take it out of the fridge at least 90 minutes before making the pizza...a dough that is room temp is much easier to work with than a cool dough. It will still be okay with cool dough, but it doesn't seem to want to stretch as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment